Friday, March 30, 2012

Adventure Flight Day Two: Oklahoma to Texas

 
7:00am came pretty early this morning, but we needed to get paperwork filled out, inspections completed and try to launch as early as possible to take advantage of calmer winds. We arrived at Christensen Aviation just as the sun was rising and got to work.

 
After thorough pre-flight inspections of all three planes, we were ready to launch! Our first leg would take us about 250 nautical miles and 2 1/2 hours to Wilbarger County Airport in Vernon, Texas. I flew the first leg in the C172 with the Garmin1000 glass cockpit system - the cream of our crop. We took the crew car (looked like a police car) into town, got a sandwich, then back in the planes to head to Midland, Texas.

This was the leg we all talked about at dinner. The updrafts and downdrafts were severe and relentless. We all fought them, plus headwinds, for 2 1/2 hours. Did I mention I flew this leg in the C152? Lower horsepower plus lighter weight meant enhanced turbulence. Sheesh. Oh, and it's a 1978 model which means no GPS.I managed to snap one photo before realize the need for intense focus.


We pressed on toward El Paso, planning to land about sunset. This time I'm back in the C172 G1000 and I welcomed the super deluxe autopilot that holds both heading and altitude. Nice luxury at the end of a long flying day. Smoother air was a plus too. I crossed the last ridge into El Paso just as the sun dipped below the mountains. Perfect.

All in all I flew 7.4 hours today and I'm wiped out. Tomorrow we get up and do it all again. The weather and our energy will determine how far we make it. I feel so lucky and happy to be making this trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment